What is Family Law?
Family law is a legal practice area that addresses matters relating to family relations such as divorce, paternity, and child custody, among others. Attorneys practicing family law can represent clients in family court proceedings or in related negotiations and can also draft important legal documents such as court petitions or property agreements.
Some Important Points things to consider:
- What is considered marital property and non-marital property?
- Is alimony required to be paid? What are my rights?
- Who retains custody of the children? What does that mean in relationship to child support payments?
- Is there a prenuptial agreement that exists or was entered into prior to the marriage? How does that affect the divorce proceedings?
- Will paternity need to be established?
Having an experienced family law attorney can help you navigate and understand the answers to these and other questions you may have during your divorce or custody proceedings.
Reasons for Hiring an Experienced Family Law Attorney
Family law matters come very close to home, so having an experienced and professional attorney on your side can help ensure that you and your loved ones are properly represented, protected and well-informed during the legal process.
There are always questions that arise when families face new possibilities or change structure. A family law attorney can answer any questions you may have. Some divorce related questions might be:
- What are my financial rights when going through a divorce?
- What happens to a financially dependent spouse after divorce? How will I meet my living costs?
- How do I fight for the custody of my children?
- What is prenuptial agreement and what is included in it?
- How do I protect my interests in divorce proceedings?
- What do I need to be aware of when considering adoption?
A family law attorney can assist in finding the answers to these and other questions. Lovato Law, P.C. helps individuals in a wide range of matters regarding marriage, divorce, adoption, child custody, spousal support, domestic abuse, and other family law matters.
Looking for support in Family Law Matters? Talk to a Professional
Family law rules in New Mexico are quite complicated and not always easy to understand. The professional team at Lovato Law, P.C. will help you navigate and understand New Mexico family laws and rules so that you can make informed decisions to achieve the desired outcome of your case.
We are experienced in helping our clients and their families resolve complicated legal issues that encompass divorce, post-divorce modifications, pre & postnuptial agreements, enforcement of court orders, restraining orders, paternity, child custody, child support, and other family issues. We will help you understand how the law will apply to the facts of your case. We keep the lines of communication open and remain transparent with our clients and continually provide information about the legal process. We are well experienced, professional and committed to making sure you never have to wonder or worry about the proceedings and we will assist you in understanding the strategies related to your case.